- About MSN
- AUSM / Study Abroad
- Mexico Study Abroad
- Cuba Study Abroad
- Chicago Programs
- Centro Autónomo
- News & Analysis
- Report: Displacement in Albany Park
Summer 2016 application deadline: June 1st • Program Cost: $3,400
June 3 - July 1: Chiapas (4 weeks, 6 credits): "Zapatismo and the Sixth Declaration" covers the practice, theory and context of the Zapatista movement and its Sixth Declaration of the Lacadon Jungle. Program includes intensive conversational Spanish or Tsotsil (a Mayan language spoken in the highlands of Chiapas). You can read over the complete syllabus and schedule for Summer 2015 as an example.
The Mexico Solidarity Network and the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (UAM), one of Mexico's most prestigious public universities, offer summer study abroad programs in Mexico. The programs utilize the modular system developed at the UAM - a student-centered pedagogy that emphasizes discussion, student presentations, group reflection, workshops with social actors on front-line struggles, and integration of theory with hands-on experience. Professors are organizers/academics with years of firsthand experience in popular struggles in Mexico and the United States. Course work includes required readings, discussion-based classes, workshops, field trips, and site visits.
To participate in the Mexico Solidarity Network Study Abroad Program
Important Admissions Information:
All applicants must be at least 18 years old to apply. Applicants are NOT required to be enrolled in a college or university in order to participate in the program. Preference will be given to people who: a) exhibit a history of commitment to grassroots political struggles, b) are highly motivated and open to new experiences, c) are from low-income families, especially those from families who recently immigrated to the US. There are no refunds for the MSN summer study abroad program after the first day.
[NOTE: most linked forms are fillable .pdf files; please send all application materials to studyabroad [at] mexicosolidarity [dot] org]
• Fill out our online application.
• Pay the $25 application fee online or by mailing a check (see address below).
II. APPROVAL of PARTICIPATION
• Forward the Reference Form to your two references for completion. Ask them to send their completed forms to us by e-mail (preferred), fax, or snail mail.
• Answer these essay questions (NOTE: if you use Apple Preview for opening .pdf files, you must click out of the box before saving or it will erase your answers).
• Print the Approval of Participation form, the Syllabus and Schedule (Chiapas), and MSN's statement on Safety, Health, and Crisis Management and bring them to your school's study abroad advisor and/or your academic advisor. (This list of universities that have accepted the program's credits may also come in handy.) Once completed, scan and send us the Approval of Participation form via e-mail (preferred) or snail mail.
• Once we receive your references, essays, and Approval of Participation form, we will arrange a telephone interview with you. Offers of admission are generally made within two weeks of the interview and receipt of references.
• Within two weeks of your acceptance, you must fill out and send in a Confirmation of Participation form and make a non-refundable deposit of $500 in order to reserve your place on the program. Also, please read and become familiar with our Conditions of Participation.
• You and your physician will also need to fill out a medical form in conjunction with a scheduled medical examination. Please make your doctor's appointment early as it can often be difficult to see doctors at the last minute.
• Email, mail or fax the remaining materials at least one month before the start date of the program
a. flight information
b. clear copy of passport
c. release form
*Use this checklist to make sure you're on track with the application process.
Payment Breakdown and Instructions
4-week program cost: $3,400
$1000 room, board and ground transportation
All tuition, fees, and donations can be made by credit card or check. Click here to donate with a credit card. Otherwise you can send a check or money order to our physical address listed below.
The Mexico Solidarity Network offers a limited scholarship program. For more information and an application, go to the Costs and Financing page. The deadline for scholarship applications for the Summer programs is March 15th. Scholarship applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
*For more information, please contact us via your preferred medium. Estamos a la orden a:
Mexico-US Solidarity Network
3460 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60625-5139
office: (773) 583-7728
fax: (773) 583-7738
studyabroad [at] mexicosolidarity [dot] org
|AUSM Summer Abroad (Cuba and Mexico).pdf||5.07 MB|
|Syllabus Zapatista program Summer 2015.pdf||663.42 KB|